Wednesday 25 March 2009


I have been walking along the Thames Path in order to photograph all the bridges from Tower Bridge to Walton-on-Thames. It has been very interesting, not least for the other pictures that I took as I went along, of aeroplanes going into or out from Heathrow, and various birds both static and in action. The days have been generally cloudy and cold, but hey, it's art!! One reason I have been doing this (and exercise has been a very useful by-product!) has been to be able to recognise them when I see pictures of them. As a start see how you get on with matching these bridges. They are not in order, but somewhere in there is Tower Bridge, London Bridge, Cannon Street Station Bridge, Southwark Bridge, Blackfriars Station Bridge and Blackfriars [Road] Bridge.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Hevs said...

Oh boy this was a toughie, but i enjoyed getting my teeth eating it! I can see how satisfying it must be able to distinguish them all, (just like finally being able to identify a breadfruit tree from a chataignier!). So many of them were familiar but just couldnt place them, here is my feeble attempt (going across)
1. Southwark
2. I thought it was the Millenium Bridge! Blackfriars Station perhaps...(i didnt know there were two blackfriars!)
3. Blackfriars the other one
4. London (though i put it down as Waterloo before checking your list to choose from!)
5. Cannon St perhaps as this one is not familiar at all
6. Phew i am on familiar ground here! Tower!

papa said...

Since the blog has been up for over a week I may as well reveal the answers. Yours is a 100% rating. You even did not get caught out by that week's unfortunate undeliberate mistake. I should have written Millennium Bridge instead of the Blackfriars Bridge(There is actually only one bridge called Blackfriars, and that is the road bridge. I have used Blackfriars Station Bridge as my own means of identification for the railway bridge).

papa said...

papa's ps: just realised a little ambiguity in my first reply. number 2 is Millennium and number 3is Blackfriars Station Bridge.