Saturday 31 March 2007

a Letter to The Times

An ex-blogging Times correspondent stimulated me to write this letter to the Times, but it was not accepted, so my blogging 'raison d'etre' is fulfilled!
Ref Winston Fletcher's lack of enthusiam for blogging. I recently started because I was constantly reading letters in The Times which I wanted to reply to. Either I did not get round to it, or I was not sure if what I wrote would pass the keen-eyed editor's stringent standards or the Law of Averages dictated that I had little prospect of getting through. I toyed with the idea of writing them anyway and publishing them as "An anthology of Unpublished Times Letters", but decided that was a non-starter. So I blog them instead, along with other thoughts, which is satisfying. I get the occasional reply, whereas the one letter I have had published in The Times generated but one response, and that from a stranger. Naturally this letter will go onto my blog if it does not survive the journey to print.

2 comments:

bachman said...

Is this the height of being blanked - getting no response from the blog either!

Anonymous said...

It's a strange thing, blogging ... who reads them? Who might comment on them? I find I write in a bit of a vacuum, mostly to myself, but it always feels nice to have a comment!