Friday 24 October 2008

God's wisdom is rightly unfathomable, but sometimes that of bureaucracy comes a close second. Why? Well, 2 incidents today may explain my comment.
The g. l. is wandering off abroad tomorrow for nearly 3 weeks, so I thought I would help her on her way with a cash injection of euros. Thus off I went to the Post Office. I told the cashier that I wanted to draw out a certain number of pounds in euros. No problem. I then asked her if I could pay for them with a credit card or did it have to be a debit card. She replied that either was permissible, but I would need to show either my passport or driving licence - even though it was not I who would be spending the money. No matter, I did not have either with me anyway. "In that case draw the necessary out from the little box by you and we'll be ok". Says I, "I thought it was only for travellers' cheques you needed a passport". "Ah", says she, in a conspiratorial manner, "some of our competitors demand that you produce a passport even when you're paying with cash!" It seemed strange to hear the P.O. speak of competitors.

Later I went to the Bank to inform them that the g.l. would be drawing the odd bit of cash out of our joint account whilst in foreign places. This required a phone call, but on eventually getting through I was informed that this could not be done unless she was with me, or else did her own phone call. "OK," says I, "What will she need to have when she makes the phone call?" "Oh, just the joint account sort code, and account number." "But I have them here...!"

However to be fair, to show there's more than one idiot in the world, this also happened. I came out of the Post office and turned into the Tube Station next door. Immediately I saw a big notice detailing the closure of most of the route for Saturday and Sunday. I thought oh dear, I had better work out another way to go to the West End. I collared a nearby official to ask if the route was open towards Walthamstow. He said yes but the rest is open too. But I argued the notice says Saturday, etc etc. So he replies ."That's right, but today is Friday!" When I apologised, he said not to worry, as I wasn't the first and wouldn't be the last!

3 comments:

Hevs said...

I am continually frustrated by banks etc who don't let spouses handle things without their other half's permission and demand to speak to them instead - but they won't know anything and will pass you back to me cos this is my domain, i protest. Always to no avail.
La Poste has added insult to injury by giving us a joint account but only a card to Bertie! Is my status being challenged, are they advocating only spending when i have cash handouts from my husband?!

Anonymous said...

re second paragraph - it certainly sounds like it. But the first paragraph probably ties up with husbands who have skived off and are trying to pull a fast one, even though to us it is patently not so. "Just covering our backs, sir" do they say?
I am surprised to have had no reaction to the Dickens blogs from all the literary types out there. Now BBC is starting a 14-part series of 'Little Dorrit' on Snday, so looks like my Sundays are going to be a bit tied up...

Hevs said...

I have to confess that I have never read Oliver Twist - but the reference to Hampstead Heath has sparked my interest! However, i am familiar enough with it to say, great blogs, please sir, can we have some more....?!