Friday 19 October 2007

Miss Leading Headline


The other day I was intrigued by an Evening Standard billboard which announced 'SKUNK FLOODING LONDON'. In my pedantic mood I thought, 'Shouldn't that read 'Skunks flooding London'? Even so it seemed a strange sort of phenomenon, which would be made much more of if it was really true that there were thousands of the darned critters galloping around the Metropolis. So then I thought, 'In that case can it mean that a sole specimen of the species has a very serious bladder problem?' The imagination boggled at this and I left it at that. The light dawned a day or two later when I saw the word used in an American detective novel in the context of drugs! It must be a very smelly drug!
('Thank you' to Wikipedia for the photograph)

2 comments:

BCB Webmaster said...

I saw that headline and wondered how it was possible for a skunk to flood London! Thank for clearing the matter up.

bachman said...

Had it really been alternative 2 it really would have been some clearing up!!